Director of Labor Relations, Labor Relations Department
Employment Type: Full-Time
Loading some great jobs for you...
Empower Every New Yorker — Without Exception — to Live the Healthiest Life Possible
Come join the largest public hospital system in the nation! Every day, we work together to make an extraordinary difference in the health and well-being of each individual we serve – without exception. Join our team and help us create a positive human experience.
The NYC Health + Hospitals Office of Labor Relations seeks an experienced Director of Labor Relations to manage day-to-day implementation of the System’s collective bargaining agreements and strategic engagements with numerous union partners. The Director should be a solutions-oriented creative thinker who has a passion for labor relations and wants to advance the mission of NYC Health + Hospitals.
The Office of Labor Relations works to ensure the country’s largest public hospital system can provide safe and effective care to its more than 1 million patients each year through day-to-day administration of New York City’s and NYC Health + Hospitals collective bargaining agreements. This work requires the Director of Labor Relations to hold grievance conferences; negotiate settlements or mediate disputes on disciplinary and contractual matters; prepare investigatory documents and briefs; and provide advice on labor relations related matters.
The Director will be responsible for one or more business units at NYC Health + Hospitals, such as a hospital, which typically have between 2,000 and 5,000 unionized employees, and may be assigned to cover any site, or different sites throughout the System. Typically, Directors of Labor Relations handle one or more business units, often with a support staff of one or more Labor Relations Specialist and administrative staff support. The Director must manage and bring to conclusion a high-volume of cases that stem from innumerable patient and employee settings across the healthcare environment.
The Director must be capable of working productively with the unionized, managerial and executive staff within the assigned business unit, as well as any internal support team that may be available. The Director must be prepared to effectively work with various other departments throughout the System, and external agencies, including the NYC Health + Hospitals Inspector General, the New York State Justice Center, and various District Attorney Offices.
The Director operates with latitude for independent judgement under the direction of central office leadership in the Office of Labor Relations in NYC Health + Hospitals. The Office is led by the System’s Senior Vice President for Labor Relations and General Counsel.
1. A Baccalaureate Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Personnel Administration, Public Administration, Management, Law or related field with emphasis on labor-management relations; and,
2. Extensive knowledge of the special policy, legal and substantive aspects of public sector labor relations; and,
3. Ability to develop productive collective bargaining relationships with organizations representing employees of varied skills and abilities and to effectively communicate with others both orally and in writing; and,
4. Eight years of progressively responsible experience in the negotiation and administration of collective bargaining agreements, including at least five years in an administrative labor relations capacity in a large multi-bargaining unit organization; or,
5. An equivalent combination of training and experience, knowledge and skills sufficient to indicate ability to perform satisfactorily.
Demonstrated ability to conduct highly effective investigations, including but not limited to, collection of witness statements, documentary and other evidence and in conducting witness interviews.
Demonstrated ability to lead a small team of staff to achieve required outcomes.
Demonstrated ability to maintain collaborative labor relations with unions while enabling business units to achieve intended objectives.
Loading some great jobs for you...